Call for Volunteers:
Do you know someone who can’t participate in daily life activities because society doesn’t care about that person’s needs and equity? Or does this apply to you?
Persons with disabilities (PWD) have to face this reality every day, but you could help get the ball of equity rolling! Are you inspired to volunteer your time learning about barriers and identifying those in public life, collecting data on accessibility at a couple of public locations to improve the status of PWD in your community?
The organisation “JuSeV” from Germany and NGO “BRAVO” from Bosnia and Herzegovina are giving you a chance to be a volunteer through the project “Barrier detectives”.
The project is being implemented in Germany, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro.
We expect volunteers to be:
- aged 18-30, regardless of identity (gender, nationality, religion or beliefs, etc.),
- students and young people of any profile who wish to fight for human rights for persons with disabilities and to gain international experience,
- willing to detect barriers that prevent PWDs from meeting their daily life responsibilities by keeping records in checklists provided by the project coordinators.
The project will provide:
- An education on the topic and training on how to detect barriers (online training, interactive, 2x3h long);
- Working in teams or individually, applying the knowledge from the training and execute barrier checks in practice;
- To share the results of the research and experience through an online conference with other young detectives from other countries;
- Certificate of participation in an international development project;
- The necessary materials and support from the project coordinators.
- The chance to address people in charge to make suggestions on improvement
The timeline is:
- Online training in mid July (14. & 15., afternoon hours)
- Barrier checking in second half of July & first half of August (on your own schedule)
- International online conference in September (dates will be announced during training sessions)
Interested candidates can apply by filling out the application forms or via E-Mail until the 30th of June 2021.
Barrier Detectives is a project implemented by the ASA program from Engagement Global, an organization of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The participating partner organizations are Jusev e.V. and BRAVO.
Thank you to the Institute for Inclusive Education and Sozialhelden e.V. for helpful insights and expertise.